The 2009 edition of Eat Out Magazine is on the shelves and inside you will find (along with plenty of other info) their selection of the top 10 restaurants in SA.
Once again, seven of them are in the Western Cape. Two are in Gauteng and one in the Kwazulu Natal Midlands. Aubergine, Bread & Wine, The Showroom, Grande Provence, and Ginja have all dropped of the list from last year (and the year before!), but Jardine and The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais are still there.
New additions in the Western Cape are: La Colombe at Constantia Uitsig with Luke Dale-Roberts also being voted chef of the year, Terroir at Kleine Zalze wine estate (was in the top 10 year before last too), Overture at Hidden Valley winery, Rust en Vrede restaurant and Bizerca at the Foreshore.
It must be very difficult to choose 10 top restaurants out of so many excellent candidates and I’m sure that many restaurants were a hair’s breadth away from being on the list.
The full list of venues and chefs is as follows:
1. La Colombe (Luke Dale Roberts – chef of the year) – Constantia Uitsig, Cape Town
2. Jardine (George Jardine) – CBD, Cape Town
3. Terroir (Michael Broughton) – Kleine Zalze wine estate, Stellenbosch
4. Overture (Bertus Basson) – Hidden Valley winery, Stellenbosch
5. Mosaic at the Orient (Chantell Dartnall) – Elandsfontein, Pretoria
6. Rust en Vrede (David Higgs) – Rust en Vrede wine Estate, Stellenbosch
7. The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais (Margot Janse) – Franschoek
8. Roots at the Forum Homini (Philippe Wagenfuhrer) – Krugersdorp, Johannesburg
9. Bizerca (Laurent Deslandes) – Foreshore, Cape Town
10. Hartford House (Jackie Cameron) – Mooi River, Kwazulu Natal Midlands